Transitioning from Employee to Manager
A manager's transition from employee to manager is often times a difficult one. Individuals who move into first level management must being to think in a systematic way.
Some value tips for employees newly appointed to management positions include the following:
- Accept that your relationships with co-workers will be different.
- Recognize that change creates problems for people; introduce it slowly and carefully.
- Be careful not to play favorites among employees.
- Do your homework so as to provide a factual basis for decisions.
- Invite and encourage knowledgeable employees to take initiative.
- Thoroughly communicate in all directions.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help from formal or informal mentors.
- Take care of yourself—mentally, emotionally, and physically—to forestall stress.